Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The same, But different

Sure there has been a little knitting and some crochet too.
New to me stitches - practised here
The first of the strawberry ripple mitts is done and the second is cast on but I have been distracted by my hook for the last two days (the sock is considerably further along now).
Triumph lace socks in mauve and Strawberry ripple mitts
Inspired by a crochet sock here, I have started my own sock - I know different pattern and heading in the other direction. The pattern is Triumph Lace socks from Dragon Heart Designs and the yarn is Bendigo woollen mills 3 ply baby yarn in mauve (yarn inherited from granny, probably '80's vintage).
I can't be sure whether the sock will be a success or not as while I got gauge with a smaller hook than the pattern suggested, all the patterns warn of the lack of stretch in crocheted socks compared with the knitted ones. The fabric on mine has quite a lot of stretch!
I'm currently reading 'About Time - Growing Old Disgracefully' by Irma Kurtz, it takes a look at the privelege of the aged and how similar they are to the young in society. Both entertaining and enlightening with actual accounts and reflections on a lifetime lived by the author and a cast of characters still working well past the 'normal retirement age'.
Joining the yarn along here where I'll find a whole lot more inspiration for new projects.
Happy creating.

12 comments:

Ike Keidi Ang said...

Lovely colour selection for both projects, I believe it will turn out great.

Donna said...

I love the yarn colors! I am curious to see how your crochet sock comes out. I have a friend who loves to crochet all her socks.

Lisa said...

I saw another YA post with vintage yarn this morning... In all my years of crocheting, I've never crocheted a sock! Sounds like an interesting read, thanks for sharing. :)

Maria said...

Very pretty colours for your mitts and socks..

Anonymous said...

Love the crocheted sock! All of your projects are lovely. I am working with vintage yarn, too. Happy crafting! :)

Wendy said...

Your projects look lovely, nice to try something new with your crochet!

karen said...

Hope your socks work out. All of your projects are beautiful and the yarn looks soft!

Shay said...

If anyone can make an amazing sock it's you. I have complete faith in your ability to churn out another gorgeous sock. (or two)

And if you get bored with it you can leave it as and call it a toe warmer.

Fiona said...

more fun... love the 'toe sock'...
Hugz

steph said...

i don't think i've ever seen a crocheted sock---lots of slippers, but never a sock! hope yours works for you. interesting sounding book....added it to the growing 'list'!!! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lovely yarn, lovely colors. I never ever have crocheted socks, I am looking forward to see yours finished.

elizabeth said...

sounds like you are having some fun creating things! yay! and so fun to have vintage yarn!