Sunday, August 11, 2013

Not much

All I managed this week was a few rounds on the rug. When I showed this project before I was thinking it would become something else but that is one of the benifits of crochet, it is easy to change direction even after you have begun.
Moda Vera Hope in Grey and purple - 5.5mm hook
I'm thinking it will make a perfect mat for standing at the sink. While it is warm and squishy the yarn is completely synthetic so it won't hold moisture (oh sure I'm messy at the sink).
I spent some time this past week flicking through my collection of vintage pattern books, most of which I inherited from granny. I spied this sock pattern and have the specific yarn called for in my stash. I found my inspiration for the father's next pair of socks.
Patons and Baldwins Stitchcraft #169 (most likely late 1950's)
While there are some lovely patterns in this booklet for women's knits, boy are they on the small size! It is interesting to note that most of the patterns have instructions for one or two sizes only, even the children's garments.

Now it's time for me to go enjoy the sunshine.
Hope the sun is shining in your space too.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Those old pattern books are still good.
Nice pair of socks for the Father on his special day..
Yes it is lovely and sunny for now.. Just brought in the washing and it smells so nice after a few hours in the sunshine.

Wendy said...

Your rug is looking good! Love the colours.

Shay said...

I love rugs by the sink(messy chick here too) and I've been contemplating a rag rug to replace my very ugly existing rug.

Love the colours in the one you're doing!

Lisa said...

I just read on another blog that we should knit what makes us happy...and I'll include crochet in that quote, too. :) How cool to have those old pattern books! And how interesting about the sizing...

Jindi's Cottage said...

The granny library is a wealth of inspiration...if dishes have to be done it's only right that there should be some level of comfort, much nicer than cold lino on the tootsies...